Saturday, August 7, 2010

Physics Lesson: A No-Win Situation When It Comes to Watches

You get to discover new things about your watch when you damage it....aarghh!!! I got a not so friendly reminder on a basic law in physics on what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object.

I chipped the crystal of my watch when I accidentally hit the side of a metal tower while I was visiting one of the business centers of the company I work for. That's when I discovered that the bezel for this model is integrated with the crystal, i.e. a replacement crystal would have both.  As you can see from the picture, the damage extends all the way down to the bezel.  Sigh...

Fortunately, parts for this particular model are still available. A quick check with the website of a popular on-line vendor of genuine Omega parts and in less than five minutes, I ended up placing an order not just for a replacement crystal/bezel, but also ended up purchasing a new Mk2 dial and set of hands. I should get these in around 4-5 weeks.  I can then have the local Omega service center install these.

I can always plead temporary insanity if and when my wife finds out...

No comments:

Post a Comment